
US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin has been admitted to the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for another “emergent bladder issue,” according to a Pentagon statement released on Sunday (Feb 11).
Unlike previous hospitalizations, the deputy defense secretary Kathleen Hicks, joint chiefs of staff, the White House, and Congress were all aware of Austin’s health crisis.
“At this time, the secretary is retaining the duties and functions of his office,” read the statement, adding that Austin had “classified and unclassified communications systems necessary to perform his duties.”
Major General Pat Ryder, the Pentagon’s press secretary, stated that the public will receive an update on Austin’s condition as soon as possible.
However, hours later, Ryder confirmed that Hicks had “assumed the functions and duties” of Austin, who was still being treated.
Notably, Austin disappeared from the public eye in December and early January of this year due to complications from his prostate cancer treatment. Austin kept the hospitalizations a secret, leaving the White House, Pentagon, and other important departments and people unaware that President Joe Biden’s top military adviser had been missing in action for an extended period.
Lloyd Austin underwent minor surgery on December 22
Austin, 70, underwent minor surgery on December 22 following early detection of prostate cancer during routine screening.
Austin recovered from the procedure without incident and returned home the next morning. However, complications quickly developed, and an examination revealed that abdominal fluid collection was impairing the function of his small intestines.
On New Year’s Day (January 1), the defense secretary was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) after complications from an elective medical procedure.
Surprisingly, the Pentagon did not make an official announcement until four days later, while waiting to notify other top government officials of Austin’s absence.
During this time, Austin was absent from action, and some of his powers were delegated to Deputy Defense Secretary Kathleen Hicks.
However, she was not informed of his boss’s hospitalization until two days later.
When it was revealed that Austin had kept his absence hidden, the Republicans demanded that he submit his resignation letter for violating the protocols.
“I apologize to my teammates and to the American people.”- Austin
As Secretary of Defense, Austin must be available at all times to respond to any national security crisis. However, his absence endangered the country, a mistake that could have been easily avoided.
Earlier this month, Austin apologized for not handling the crisis properly.
“I want to be crystal clear. We did not handle this right, and I did not handle this right. I should have told the president about my cancer diagnosis. I should have also told my team and the American public, and I take full responsibility,” Austin said.
“I apologize to my teammates and to the American people,” he added.
Austin claimed that he did not direct his “staff to conceal hospitalization from anyone” and that he had not considered resigning.